Welcome to The Online Pound

I hope you enjoy reading the writings about my experiences as I conduct a study on Cleveland Browns' fan culture. I encourage everyone that visits to leave comments on the articles, or if you have anything else that you would like to add about being a Browns' fan, please visit the fan contribution page.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My first round mock

Last week I criticized the mock drafts of ESPN’s two draft head honchos. I believe that it is easy to critique something without offering up one’s own opinions. Thus if I do not give any insight into what I think the Browns should do with the seventh pick, I would think of myself as quite the hypocrite.

Here are my three top things the Browns could do with the seventh pick in the upcoming draft. I tried to make them realistic in the sense that I did not choose anyone for the pick if they would likely not be available.

1. Eric Berry – Experts are not sure if Eric Berry will be there when the Browns make their selection, but if he is, this should be a no-brainer. The safety out of Tennessee has been compared to future Hall of Famer Ed Reed. He was a playmaker in Tennessee’s secondary. The Browns have lacked a playmaker in the secondary since their return to the league in 1999. Berry would provide an immediate upgrade to the team’s defense that has been ranked towards the bottom of the league the past few seasons.

2. Trade down – Truth be told, I am not a huge fan of any other player the Browns could draft at seven besides Berry. I think that many of the other names that have been tossed around such as Earl Thomas (Texas safety), Joe Haden (Florida cornerback), or Jason Pierre-Paul (South Florida defensive end) to name a few, would be available later in the draft. There is a chance that teams would be interested in trading up to draft a player such as Jimmy Clausen (who should be still on the board at seven). If Berry is gone and some team tries to move up, the Browns should jump at the opportunity.

3. Jimmy Clausen – I am shocked that I put this down as my third option. My only rational for doing so is the position that he plays. If Holmgren and company believe that his pedigree (playing under Charlie Weiss at Notre Dame) and skill set warrant picking him, I would but a little disappointed. I would get over it. A franchise quarterback is a must in this league, and the Browns do not have one. Though I am not Clausen’s biggest fan pre-draft, I would be a super-fan if the Browns chose him.

No comments:

Post a Comment